Wednesday, October 21, 2009

OpenShot Video Editor

When I made my transition to Ubuntu there were quite a few hurdles that I needed to jump. One of these hurdles was finding a good video editor. There were some other programs that I tried first, but they just didn't cut it for me. They either didn't have the features that I was looking for, or they were just too clunky and not very user friendly. Then I stumbled on to a thread in the Ubuntu Forums that talked about good video editors that are available. One of the posters mentioned OpenShot. Since this was the only one that I had not heard of yet, I decided to give it a whirl.

People always say that your first impression of something is always the most important one. Well my first impression of this program was purely based on it's visual layout. Needless to say, the program looked really nice. It has a great layout and looking at it's features you can see that it's quite robust.

Here is a little snippet from Linux and Free software
OpenShot is a video editor for Linux. The project was started by Jonathan Thomas in 2008. The goal of OpenShot is to be a free, stable and user friendly video editor. It is licensed under GNU general public license. OpenShot supports many video and audio file formats. You can resize, trim and cut clips. There are also video transitions with real time previews and many other features.

Over time the program has grown by leaps and bounds. The creator has added the ability to combine your video with special effects and they have also recently added their own PPA giving users the chance to install and have the program updated more easily.

One of the things that I find to be very important to me is having the choice of stripping the audio out of an imported video and then add my own audio track in the background. With OpenShot, I have the ability to do this plus much more. Long story short, I suggest giving this program a try. You wont be let down.

No comments:

Post a Comment